You are here

The Archibald Home

The Archibald home located in historic Lunenburg on Leominster Road was built in the mid 1700’s and moved to its current location in 1880.

If the walls could speak we would learn that this historic home witnessed our Founding Fathers declaring independence from Great Britain on July 4, 1776. Though considered by generations of Americans as the ultimate patriots, the Founders were engaging in treasonous behavior, and their words and actions would have resulted in their execution had their endeavors not succeeded. Indeed, at the signing of the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia in 1776, Ben Franklin recognized this discomforting thought, advising his fellow delegates that “We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.”

We would also learn that in 1787 The Constitution of the United States was signed and is now considered the world’s oldest constitution still in force.

This historic home was witness to George Washington commonly known as the Father of our Country becoming the first president of the United States in 1789 followed by John Adam and Thomas Jefferson.

Thomas Archibald was the local blacksmith from 1884 to 1918. He started his blacksmith business in a shop which is on the site of the present Citgo garage on Massachusetts Avenue. He sold this shop to Eben Mead who converted it into a garage. At this time Mr. Archibald bought the home on the corner of Stevens and Leominster road and built his blacksmith shop located in the back of his home. This shop closed in 1932.

It was Thomas Archibald who made the band that was place around the Rollstone Boulder by Franklin Francis in 1889 when the boulder was still atop of Rollstone Hill in Fitchburg. Locals still have vivid memories of this blacksmith shop. We sat in the home of Willis Woodruff on Fairview Street who recalled watching Thomas Archibald shoe horses. He described watching Mr. Archibald trimming the horse’s hooves and fitting the shoes to the horses that he forged in the fire of his blacksmith shop. He recalled having a ring made from the nails used to shoe the horses. Edward H. Riley recalled taking his sled to Thomas Archibald’s shop to have the runner reset.

There are many unique features to this historic home but several are certainly worth mentioning. A New England built Rumford fire place now called a Bee Hive Oven that is located in the center of the home. Many of the floors are King’s Cut meaning that they are very  wide and the law at the time set by King George 111 stated that all wood of this width must be sent back to England. This wood was to be used to build ships. Even our New England ancestor’s avoided paying taxes and tribute to the king when ever they could get away with it.

This home is post and beam construction with exposed framing so you can still see how the beams were hand hewn, leaving some of the original bark.

The New England Charm of this Antique Colonial home is a treasure for Lunenburg but is only one of the many wonderful historic homes in the Lunenburg Historic District.

Last Updated: Wed, 10/03/2018 - 10:12pm